I’ve been in the “real world” for about 5 years. I’ve learned a lot in my working years, most importantly how ready I am for retirement. In the meantime, I’ve become very passionate about making my desk space feel like home. You spend 40 (or more) hours a week at your desk, so it should hold all of your necessities for making it through the day. I’ve narrowed down all of the office desk supplies you need for ultimate comfort at work.
Office Desk Supplies You Need:
- Pen holder: An obvious must-have is a pen holder to keep your desk space from feeling cluttered. A cute one can add a bit of style and decoration to your desk space as well! I use this one from Amazon.
- Snacks: 8 hours a day is a long time to be somewhere. You’re gonna need snacks. Or a whole snack drawer, in my case. I actually keep my morning breakfast (granola) and my non-perishable lunchtime salad supplies (croutons, craisins, etc.) in my drawer so that I don’t have to lug these food items back and forth to the office each day.
- Hand sanitizer: I Purell every time I sit down at my desk. Germs are out there, and they will find you. This is especially a must-have to use before snacking or eating lunch!
- Disinfecting wipes: Can you tell I’m a germaphobe? You should disinfect your desk regularly to keep it clean and germ-free.
- Water cup/bottle: Having a water cup or bottle at your desk is so important for keeping hydrated! It’s also important to have water ready to grab and take to meetings. I refill my cup about 4x a day because I have never not been thirsty. Studies show you’re likely to drink more water if you use a cup with a straw, so I recommend the one linked below!
- Tissues/napkins: As a serial spiller, I always keep napkins in my desk. Whether you’re eating lunch, blowing your nose, or trying to absorb all of the water you accidentally just poured into your keyboard, this is a must.
- Sweater/blanket: Office AC is the enemy. Always have a sweater in your desk to use for those frigid winter or summer AC days! Bonus points if you keep a blanket at your desk as well.
- Medicine: There’s nothing worse than having cramps at work and not having any Advil. Keep essential medicines like ibuprofen and Tums close at hand!
- Wireless mouse/keyboard: I recently converted to a wireless mouse/keyboard, and it’s been transformative. They prevent so much wire clutter! Definitely invest in these, or see if you can get your company to invest for you.
- Phone charger: I always say a person needs 4 phone chargers to achieve maximum life satisfaction: One for the bedside, one for the couch, one for the car, and one for their desk. You don’t want to lose power halfway through the workday, so be prepared with a charger!
- Headphones: Whether you’re listening to a podcast while you work or drowning out the loud conversations of your coworkers, headphones are a must! Please don’t be the person who plays things on their computer out loud for the rest of the office to hear.
- Spare makeup: I hope your job never makes you cry, but in case it does (or you just need a quick makeup touch up before a big meeting), it’s good to keep some spare mascara in a desk drawer.
- Personalization: Your desk should be your space. Feel free to personalize it and make it feel like your home-away-from-home. Bring in pictures, customize the wallpaper on your computer screen, cover your desk in marble paper (tutorial here), or put out a few pieces of decor. Make your space feel inspiring and comfortable for you!
Are there any other office desk supplies you need to have? Let me know in the comments!
As an Amazon affiliate, this blog post contains affiliate links – any purchases made through these links will result in a small commission for me (at no extra cost for you).