I often see people posting to their Instagram stories with a disclaimer to ignore their next few story posts, because they are only posting for the purpose of creating highlight cover photos. For some reason, there is a misconception that Instagram cover photos can only be chosen from images that have been posted to an Instagram story. The reality is that you can use ANY photo from your camera roll as a highlight cover pic! It’s very easy to add a picture as an Instagram highlight cover photo.
How to add a picture from your camera roll as an Instagram highlight cover photo:
I’m going to run through an example for how to set up a highlight on my page. This example highlight will showcase outfits I’ve shared in my stories, and use a pink dress as the cover photo for the highlight.
- Add the image you would like to use as your highlight cover photo to your phone’s camera roll. In this example, I’ll be using this photo:
2. Navigate to your Instagram bio. Click the New button that appears below your profile information to create a new highlight.
You will be presented with an archive of the photos/videos you have previously posted on your story.
4. Select the photos/videos you want to add to your highlights by checking the check box on each image. Then, click next.
5. The “Title” page for your story will appear. Type the title you would like to use. For this example, I used “Outfits.”
6. You’ll see that one of the photos you selected from your highlights automatically appears as the cover photo. To change this, select “Edit Cover.”
7. Click the gallery icon.
8. Your camera roll will open up – simply select the image that you’d like to use as the cover photo. Then hit Done, and you’re done!
That’s it! You will now be able to see the highlight with your selected cover photo on your profile page!
Now that you’ve mastered adding a highlight cover photo to a new highlight, you work on your previously created highlights. If you want to change the cover photo on an existing Instagram highlight, it’s easy to do as well!
To change your existing highlight cover photo to an image from your camera roll:
- Add the image you would like to use to your phone’s camera roll.
2. Navigate to your Instagram page
3. Click into the highlight you would like to edit.
4. Click the “More” button at the bottom right of the first image
5. Click, “Edit Highlight”
6. Select “Edit Cover” below the cover image at the top of the page
7. Your camera roll will open up – select the image that you’d like to use as the cover photo.
8. Then hit Done, and you’re done!
That’s it! Just 8 easy steps to add a picture as an Instagram highlight cover photo. I hope this helps you create a cohesive, branded Instagram presence.
While you’re here, I’d love if you would follow me on Instagram!